Saturday, May 18, 2013
The annual Medieval Faire, a car show, an Eco-Depot collection, and ghost tours in Providence are on this weekend's list of events in and around Johnston.
Getting your weekend plans together? The weekend forecast is for mostly sunny skies and highs in the 70s. If that weren't enough, places around Johnston are hosting healthy slates of activities featuring medieval battles, classic cruisers, and baby chicks. Click each blue link for more information — and be sure to call ahead to confirm. Friday, May 17: Saturday, May 18: Sunday, May 19: Don't see your event? Here's how to get your event listed for next Friday's "What's Happening" article:
Monday, December 3, 2012
Welcome to the first Monday of December, 2012 — start it off right with a check of weather, events, and celebrity birthdays.
Johnston Weather: Window Painting: The sun will probably help highlight the window painting project in the Andrew Greene Young Adult Room at Mohr Library in Johnston. Stencils and paints available; art starts at 2:30 pm. Get Your Game On: Mohr Library is also hosting video games for kids in grades 6 to 12 starting at 3:30. Skip the Mall: The Children's Workshop on Cedar Swamp Road in Smithfield is hosting holiday shopping with products from Lia Sophia, Mary Kay, Avon, Wildtree, and others tomorrow afternoon at 5 pm. Free admission; you don't need to have children enrolled to shop. Celebrity Birthdays:
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Start your day on JohnstonPatch with a check of news, events, and weather.
Johnston Weather: Giving: A nationwide group of nonprofit organizations is collaborating to raise awareness for their causes as part of "Giving Tuesday." Click here to learn more and find Rhode Island area nonprofits who are participating. Reading, Pt. 1: Planning buy books as part of your holiday shopping? We've got a list of great reads for all ages. Reading, Pt. 2: Marian J. Mohr Library hosts story time for ages birth to 3 years old today at 10:30 am. Skating: Over in Smithfield, the Municipal Ice Rink is open for public skating form noon to 2 pm today. $3 Admission, $5 Skate rentals.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Workouts of the physical and mental kinds make the 5 Things to Know Today for Oct. 16.
1. Reading: There's no doubt that reading is an important thing for kids to do — and if you're looking to encourage your little ones to crack open more books [or at least read them on a Kindle or iPad], check out the advice provided by author James Patterson for Patch. 2. Roaring: Dinosaurs roared, right? It wasn't just a Hollywood invention, right? Find out the answer at today's After-School Adventure for kids in kindergarten through third grade at Mohr Library. Program starts at 4:30 pm, registration required. [And pick up a few books while you're there!] 3. Ripped: As in, join a health club and get... Planet Fitness is holding a grand opening today at 4 pm where the Shaw's used-tah-be. Check out all of the sports & fitness businesses …
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
JohnstonPatch has two ways to share the Halloween spirit on the list of 5 Things to Know Today for Oct. 16, 2012.
1. Creepy Contest, Pt. 1: Have you already picked up that perfect pumpkin for this year's Jack-O-Lantern? Patch sites in Rhode Island are hosting a pumpkin carving contest — click this link for information and contest rules. 2. Creepy Contest, Pt. 2: If you're not satified with trying to be "just" the best in Rhode Island, why not go for a national title — of, say, Best Halloween Costume. All of the Patch sites in America (that's 21 states, for those of you keeping score) are looking for readers' best duds for All Hallows. You could win $5,000 and national Patch fame! 3. On the Ballot: Sure, there's the Presidential contest, two Congressional races, the Mayor's race, and state referenda — but did you know that there are three questions …
Friday, October 12, 2012
A creative outlet for the kids and nearby locavore shopping make the list of 5 Things to Know Today for Oct. 12.
1. Ah-tsy: Ms. Melyssa hosts Art Smart today at 4 pm at Mohr Library. For students in grades 3 through 6; each session focuses on a different great art master. Register by calling (401) 231-4980, ext. 5. 2. Mah-kets: Looking to buy local produce and help Rhode Island farmers? Check out these nearby farmers markets today: 3. De-paht-ment: The Smithfield Fire Department is hosting its annual Open House on Saturday from noon to 4 pm. Activities for the kids, info for the parents. Pizza and drinks provided. 4. Mohr Weekend Fun: Also on Saturday, Mohr Library is scheduled to hold its 8th Annual Fall Festival from 2 to 3:30 pm. Events include raffles, games, crafts, potato sack races, mummy wrap, and a pie eating contest. Bring a snack or …
Thursday, October 4, 2012
The first Presidential debate of the 2012 campaign leads our 5 Things to Know for Oct. 4, 2012.
1. Round 1: President Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney had their first debate last night — tell us what you think. 2. Freaky Flick: Mohr Library continues its Halloween theme with a showing of Corpse Bride, the 2005 movie by Tim Burton. For kids in grades 6 to 12; movie starts at 2:30 pm. 3. Get Creative: Also at Mohr Library today, Ms. Melyssa kicks off a five-week drawing class at 3:30 pm. Offered to students in grade 7 and older. 4. For Locavores: The Fruit Hill Farmers Market sets up shop for the final time this afternoon beginning at 4 pm at Rhode Island College. 5. Weather in 10 Words: Rainy with fog. Highs around 55. Clear and sunny Friday.
Thursday, September 27, 2012
Welcome to the last Thursday of September, 2012. Here are your 5 Things to Know Today.
1. New Addition: Beginning at noon today, SmithfieldPatch will be live. Be sure to visit the new site — and be sure to let your friends and family in Smithfield know that there's a Patch in their neck of the woods. 2. Guess Who: Today at 2:30 pm, Mohr Library hosts a friendly contest of "Who Am I?" for students in grades six through 12. 3. Updates: Get daily emails on the latest news in Johnston — including breaking stories — by signing up for our newsletters. 4. Speak Up: Share what you know — and what you think. Sign up to write a blog on JohnstonPatch. 5. Weather in 10 Words: Sunny start. Clouds later, rain possible. Highs hovering near 70.
Monday, September 24, 2012
Drama, music, and questions to ask and answer make the list for 5 Things to Know Today for Sept. 24.
1. Drama: It's "New Works Night" at Mohr Library, starting at 6 pm. Local authors show their recent compositions for the first time. For adults; free to attend. 2. Music: If you're more a fan of Benny Goodman, check out the Johnston Senior Center at 7 pm for its Big Band Sentimental Swing. Tickets are $10. Call (401) 944-3343 for info. 3. Ask: Is there something about Johnston that's got you wondering? Pose your question to JohnstonPatch — and we'll find you an answer. 4. Answer: Do you drive through an intersection that could use a stop sign [or a traffic light]? Add your comments to our recent article that raises the question. 5. Weather: More fall loveliness today. Sunny with highs in the 60s.
Thursday, September 20, 2012
A search for job seekers, improving weather, and appreciation for radio make the list of 5 Things to Know Today for Sept. 20, 2012.
1. McHiring: Similar to last year's National Hiring Day, McDonald's restaurants — including the local place on Atwood Avenue — are holding a hiring day today, aimed at high school kids. Hours are 3 to 5 pm. Bring a resume — and for goodness sake, dress up for it. 2. Clearing: A return to autmn weather today with sun and highs in the upper 60s. Slightly warmer Friday and Saturday, with chance of rain Saturday night. 3. Hearing: Mohr Library is scheduled to host Radio Days, a chance to listen to some thought-provoking conversation — and participate in it. Starts at 3 pm. 4. Knowing: Want to be among the first to get updates from JohnstonPatch? Sign up for our newsletters and get the latest news straight to your Inbox. 5. Nearing: We're …