This organization of dedicated and historically-minded residents has its roots in the Bicentennial Committee, formed to celebrate America's 200th anniversary. Over the next several years, the group began holding meetings, and, in 1984, the town deeded the former Farnum/Angell House to the Historical Society, providing the group with a pernament home.
Thanks to a grant from the Champlin Foundations, the group opened its museum barn in 2000. Later research of the house proved that Elijah Angell, a local stonecutter, had built the dwelling in 1825, and the Society renamed it the Elijah Angell House.
Most recently, the Society opened the historic one-room Belknap Schoolhouse to the public in May, 2010, following renovations funded by the Champlin Foundations and a State Preservation Grant.
The Society also helps in maintaining the town's 100 historical cemeteries and has published three volumes on Johnston history, including a 250th anniversary edition in 2009.
- Hours: Sites open by appointment year-round.
- Founding Date: 1970s
- Parking: Free lot
- Scope: Local