1. Sandy's Arrival: Whether it's still called a hurricane by this point, the Storm Named Sandy is expected to push into our area today, bringing high winds and rain. Check out How to Follow Hurricane Sandy Online.
2. Get Updates: Want the latest news from Johnston as Sandy heads our way? Sign up for our newsletter and get alerts in your Inbox or sent to your smartphone.
3. Share Your Story: It's been estimated that Hurricane Sandy could affect 50 million people on the East Coast — including several thousand right here in Johnston. Here are 10 Ways to Use JohnstonPatch so you can share how Sandy is affecting you.
4. Contests: Now, it's not all doom and gloom today — we're hosting some cool competitions to take your mind off the weather for a few minutes, at least:
- Homecoming Float Contest: Before the storm rolled in, The Warwick Vets Hurricanes visited Johnston High School for the Homecoming game on Saturday — and the four classes ar JHS put together storm-themed floats for the parade. Check out the entries and vote for your favorite. Winner gets a video featuring their float posted later today.
- Costume Contest: This is a national competition to see who's got the best costume — winner gets $5,000. Click here for info on how to enter
- Pumpkin Decorating Contest: Rhode Island Patch sites are also hosting a contest for best jack-o-lantern [or painted pumkpin].Check out the details here.
5. Weather in 10 Words: Strong winds and heavy rains. Rain possible through Wednesday morning.