1. Victory Day: Some of the older Rhode Islanders will remember when we called today's holiday "V-J Day," referring to the Allied victory over Japan in World War II. A few years back, the state legislature changed the name to "Victory Day," and it seems that the whole time, there's been a . Put in your two cents by clicking the link and adding your comments.
2. Town Hall closed: With the state holiday today, Johnston Town Hall offices [as well as the Parks and Rec department and DPW] are closed today. Trash and recycling collection is this week.
3. Sunny and Dry: If you're lucky enough to have the day off, it's a good one to get outdoors — the forecast is for mostly sunny skies and highs in the mid-80s. Same deal for tomorrow.
4. Make this Johnston's photo album: Whether it's a photo of the geese at Memorial Park or a nice sunset — or even Miss USA — you can add your work to our Pics & Clips gallery.
5. Have your say: Maybe you've seen all of the comments sparked by the political blogs on JohnstonPatch. And maybe you've got the idea that you can offer interesting, funny, or unique observations. Well, you can also reach tons of readers by signing up to blog — and if your entries are good enough, we'll share them around Rhode Island.