The Rhode Island State Medical Examiner today confirmed that Stacie M. Dorego, 39, died from stab wounds to the chest on Jan. 22.
Donald K. Greenslit, 52, is currently being held at the Adult Correctional Institutions, awaiting trial on charges that he murdered Dorego and left their two young children in an upstairs bedroom while he dismembered her body and tried to burn her remains.
Peter Hanney, a spokesman for the Department of Health, wrote in an email that the office had also positively identified the remains as Dorego's. Citing the ongoing nature of the investigation, Hanney declined to provide further details.
Last Wednesday, Johnston Police Deputy Chief David DeCesare identified Dorego as the victim in the case, based on Greenslit's reported confession to police.
Past articles on this topic:
- Suspect In Girlfriend's Death Was Serving Suspended Sentence, Jan. 23, 2012
- Domestic Violence Groups 'Horrified And Saddened' By Apparent Murder, Jan. 23, 2012
- Police Issue Statement On Murder Investigation, Jan. 23, 2012
- UPDATE: Victim ID'd In Murder Case, Family Issues Statement, Jan. 24, 2012
- Greenslit Ordered Held Without Bail, Jan. 24, 2012
- Johnston Rallies To Help Lily And Jake, Jan. 28, 2012
- UPDATE: Greenslit Remains In Jail, Jan. 30, 2012