1. Muscles: Planet Fitness recently opened up where Shaw's used-tah-be [Ocean State Job Lot is there, too], and they're offering a $10-per-month membership. You can comparison shop by checking out all of the fitness clubs in the JohnstonPatch Directory.
2. Missiles: You may have heard Bob Schieffer mention the Cuban Missile Crisis in his opening remarks at Monday night's final Presidential Debate — but how much do you really know about this major event? Lucky for you, the Johnston Historical Society is hosting Dr. Gary L. Hylander from Stonehill College for a presentation tonight at 7 at The Little Inn. Admission is free, cash bar before the lecture.
3. Masks: And costumes, and carvings — Patch has two great ways to show off your Halloween handiwork:
- Pumpkin decorating contest. Open to all readers of RI Patch sites, this one celebrates the creative — and not-so-creative, I'm looking at you, Dante Greenwell — ways that folks decorate pumpkins. Check out the entries so far and add your own for a chance to win a gift card [and a measure of fame].
- Costume contest. This is the Patch nationwide search for the best duds. Winner takes home $5,000.
4. Make Up Your Mind: Need to know who's on the ballot in Johnston this year? How about the local referenda questions? JohnstonPatch has that — in our Election Guide.
5. Weather in 10 Words: Chance of rain early. Clearing later. Temps in the 60s.