Traffic Banned from Highways at 5pm
Get off the highway. That's the message from state officials.
As blizzard conditions worsen and winds begin to pick up, Governor Lincoln Chafee has restricted motor vehicle travel on several major highways beginning at 5 p.m. tonight.
The highways are:
Routes I-95, I-195, RI-146, RI-24 and I-295.
The restriction will continue until further notice.
Exceptions are being made for the following:
- public safety vehicles and workers, including contract personnel;
- public works vehicles and workers, including contract personnel;
- government officials on official business;
- utility company vehicles and workers;
- health care workers who travel to and from work in order to provide essential health services;
- news media;
- travel necessary to maintain and deliver critical private sector services such as energy, fuel supplies, financial systems and critical commodities;
- travel to support business operations that provide critical services to the public, including gas stations, food stores and hardware stores.
Want the latest breaking Cranston-specific news sent to you automatically? Subscribe to the Cranston Patch daily and breaking newsletters!