The New England Patriots host the Baltimore Ravens Gillette Stadium in the AFC Championship Game Sunday, battling for the right to go to their second straight Super Bowl, and sixth in the Tom Brady/Bill Belichick era.
The NFL Championship Weekend begins Sunday at 3 p.m. when the Atlanta Falcons host the San Fransisco 49ers to determine the NFC champion. Then, at 6:30 p.m., the Patriots kick off against rival Baltimore.
There is some recent history between the two teams, beginning in 2009, when the Ravens marched into Foxboro and stunned the heavily favored Patriots, 33-14 to knock the home team out of the playoffs. New England got some revenge in the AFC Championship Game last year, beating the Ravens 23-20 to advance to the Super Bowl. The two met again early this season, with the Ravens holding on for a nail-biting 31-30 win in Baltimore.
The two winners Sunday move on to the Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans on Sunday, Feb. 3. It would be the second-straight Super Bowl for the Patriots, eighth in team history. It would also be the sixth appearance in the biggest game of the year for the Patriots since Tom Brady took over as quarterback in 2001. The team has won three, but has lost its last two.
If you plan to tune in locally to this weekend’s playoff action then stop by one of these places in Johnston to watch the game(s):
- Atwood Grill, 1413 Atwood Ave.
- Bar 101, 1478 Atwood Ave.
- Ball’s Sports Bar and Grille 198 Putnam Pike
- Corner Pocket, 1478 Hartford Ave.
- Crown & Anchor Tavern (formerly RI Alehouse), 1200 Hartford Ave.
- Ribs & Company, 1381 Atwood Ave.
- The Drunken Clam, 8 Greenville Ave.
Know any other great spots to catch the game? Add them to the comments section below.
If you're planning on hosting a football party, we've also collected this list of places in Johnston to help you get ready for the big game.
- Johnston Fine Wine, 2951 Hartford Ave.
- Knights Liquors, 1380 Hartford Ave.
- Market Fine Wine & Spirits, 1412 Atwood Ave