Electrical Fire Damages Johnston Rec Office at Memorial Park
Johnston Fire Chief Timothy McLaughlin said the early-morning fire caused "extensive" damage to the roof.
An early-morning blaze at Johnston Memorial Park left the recreation department's office with "extensive damage to the roof, and water and smoke [damage] throughout the building," according to Fire Chief Timothy McLaughlin, reached via text message this morning.
McLaughlin also said that the fire was apparently caused by an electrical malfunction inside the building, which includes offices for the parks and recreation department and storage areas for equipment.
No injuries were reported following the fire, McLaughlin added.
Twitter user @CoreyWelch posted the following message with a photo at 2:20 am:
Fire at Johnston Memorial Park rec building. Heavy smoke showing on arrival. Visible fire now knocked down. twitter.com/CoreyWelch/sta…— Corey Welch (@CoreyWelch) October 6, 2012