1. Calling All Candidates: The September primary is only four weeks away — are you running for office? [We're looking at you, Ward 1 Councilwoman Eileen Fuoco and challengers Ed Cardillo and Paul Crowell.] Reach JohnstonPatch readers by completing our online survey.
2. Get Prepped: If you've got kids attending Johnston Public Schools, we've got the information you need to get them ready for Aug. 29 on our Back to School Guide. As soon as we get bus routes from First Student, we'll post them online.
3. Fall Preview?: It's been a rough summer for anyone who's not a fan of heat and humidity. This week, we're in for autumn-like weather, with partly sunny skies and temps in the low 80s for the next few days.
4. Say 'Happy Birthday' Quickly: Fresh off his three-gold-medal performance at the London Olympics, Jamaican runner Usain Bolt celebrates his 25th birthday today. Also on the famous birthday list are Kenny Rogers, Wilt Chamberlain, and Count Basie.
5. Makes you Say OMG: Every week, we feature strange arrests from around the state on OMG PD. Check out this week's odd reports, including possible inspiration for the samurai sword attack in Johnston.