1. Enter Our Contests:
- Today is the final day to upload your decorated pumpkin photos — but hurry! We'll announce the winner later today.
- Tomorrow is the last day for the Patch Best Costume Contest — all entries must be received by 11:59 pm tomorrow night. Send in your kid in a cute costume, and you could win $5,000.
2. Read About the Holiday: Most people just know it as a day to send the kids out for candy (or hand it out, if you're the generous sort). But did you know that Halloween has its origins in ancient Celtic ceremonies to ward off evil spirits? The History Channel website has all sorts of interesting information about Halloween — check it out to get in the right (well-informed) mood about the holiday.
3. Use Your Noggin: Whether you're sending the kids out or accompanying them, check out these tips from Safekids.org on what makes a safe costume.
4. See the Scary Sights: Roger Williams Park Zoo wraps up its annual Jack-o-Lantern Spectacular on Sunday night. Tonight's hours are from 6 to 11 pm, with final admission at 10. Tix are $12 adults, $10 seniors (62+), $9 children ages 3-12, kids under 3 are free. Discounts for Zoo members with ID.
5. Weather in 10 Words: Chance of rain today; clearing just in time for Halloween.